Saturday, September 29, 2007

Homecoming and going

So.... back in the 70s, if you were a girl, you didn't go to Homecoming, or any dance for that matter, if a guy didn't ask you. Heck, you didn't even buy a dress unless you had a date. Yeah, it wasn't fair, coz the guys went stag anyway, and who really knew if you had a date or not if you were standing in the wallflower section?

So fast forward to today. I dropped off my 16 year old daughter who CAN date, at a friends house so they could start off with a potluck, then go as a group to the homecoming dance. My 14 year old son, who technically can't date yet, gets picked up by a sophomore girl who has her driver's license, to take him to a group dinner at one of the other kid's houses and then they'll all go together to the dance.

I paid $25 bucks to get three tiny corsage/buttoniers for my two and the girl who was picking up my son... they all turned them down. It's all so casual now. And so now what am I supposed to do with the three roses all trussed up with ribbon and baby's breath that are sitting in my refrigerator next to the leftover chile chicken enchiladas?

It's all so different these days.

2 comments:

Fate said...

lol! I'm sure the left over Chinken Enchiladas look that much more appealing with a lovely corsage.

Teenagers are funny. Back in the 80's (when I was a teen) I don't think anyone would have turned down a corsage and heaven forbid you go to the dance as a group if you could get a DATE! Though if you didn't have an actual date, then you'd go with all your other dateless friends. Eh... so glad I'm not in High School anymore.

Linda said...

Thanks for leaving a comment! Yeah, I think I'll decorate my leftovers more often - before they decorate themselves with that green fur they so enjoy!