Saturday, June 18, 2011

Distractions...

For the past couple of days I've been craving something...

Its kind of like lemon bars, except with rhubarb, but with a crumbly oatmeal topping. Nummy?  I hoped so, but I couldn't find a recipe.  Not that I had a bunch of leisure time to surf the web looking for recipes.  No! We have that stupid garden tour coming up next week and though he says he isn't overly worried about it, Downtown Dad does have a lot of ideas and plans and projects in the back yard to complete before then, which of course include me... hence this post:


I'm not sure he's taking me seriously - notice that he "liked" it.

Anyway, back to the craving, so this morning D D was off doing his daily social good deed, so I knew I had a couple of hours off for good behavior to myself. 

First I made a shortbread crust with 2 cups of flour, 1 cup of powdered sugar and 1 cup of butter 


(Aside to my local FM peeps:  No offense to American Crystal Sugar, but I do prefer C & H powdered sugar, not because I grew up in C, but because it is made with Cane Sugar, not Beet Sugar, and yes, there is a difference)

Press the dough into a 9 X 11 pan and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees

Thaw, or cut up fresh about 3 cups of rhubarb (or Root Parp, as my son used to call it).



Next, mix the custard using 1 cup of granulated sugar (for granulated it doesn't seem to make a difference if you use Crystal, or C & H), 1/2 cup flour, 1 cup sour cream, 4 beaten eggs, vanilla and salt.  Then fold in the rhubarb.


Then make the topping, which is 1/2 cup brown sugar (OK, really, the brand doesn't matter) 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup butter, and 1/2 cup oatmeal with salt and cinnamon.



Pour the rhubarb custard mixture over the crust which has cooled a bit, then crumble the topping over that.  Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

What you get is this...


.... and yes, it is NUMMY!

No comments: