Saturday, October 15, 2011

Pink Inspiration

This week, I'm linking to Pink Saturday where Beverly invites us to Share Our Pink Inspiration.

Well, this week, my inspiration happens to be my blog, where a lot of   changing   swearing   reinvention is going on! Mainly because a lot of the aforementioned is also going on in my own life. So, excuse the "dust."

I firmly believe that just because a person is of a "certain age" doesn't mean she has to stop having fun, or being funny. There is a lot of potential for humor in the things I   complain  worry   dream  care about, and I'm willing to bet its the same for you. I'm aiming for this blog to be a place where it's less of a speech, and more of a community - or better, a conversation like you'd have with girlfriends over coffee... or wine... or martinis!

So, this week my girlfriends and I are planning for a party we will be hosting together at my house.  Its a fun FUNdraiser for an annual event that takes place here at a local downtown hotel called Bras On Broadway.  They literally drape the building with a bra-garland in order to draw attention to the fight against breast cancer.  And DRAW ATTENTION they do!


Last year they had over 3,000 bras in the garland, and raised over $62,000!  The focus of the event is on the artistic reinvention of the bra. Inside the building, at the actual event, local artists donate wearable and non wearable art bras which are modeled and then auctioned off.  All proceeds are donated to the American Cancer Society to support local women in our area who are fighting breast cancer.

Teams form in the weeks before the actual event to gather donations and old broken down bras for the garland.  The party we're hosting is a PRE-fundraiser we're calling Bra-vada.  We'll collect donations, and bras, then over coffee, or wine, or martinis and a few hors d'oeuvres, we'll decorate, bedazzle, adorn, embellish... in other words - prettify our cast off brassieres to add to the bra garland and wave in the wind with the others!  Be sure to check in next week - I'm sure I'll have at least one pink bedazzled bra to share!

Pretty cool huh?  What do you think?


6 comments:

Glennis said...

Wow, that's awesome. The bra garland! And what a great event. Happy Pink Saturday, and hello, too, via Derfwad Manor.

trash said...

The bra garland is ace but my eye is drawn to the phallic shaped hotel sign in the background. Do you think they drape it in glow-in-the-dark condoms to highlight testicular cancer?

Mrs. G. said...

This sounds delightful and obviously hugely effective. I hope you and your pals have a blast and raise tons of dough.

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Oh I think this is a great idea! The bra garland is awesome! And I'm with you girlfriend, we never get too old to party!! Thanks for dropping by and the sweet comments! Please visit again!

Unknown said...

Oh my this is such a beautiful idea and so well done. It's folks like you and your friends that make good things happen..Have a lot of fun..and best wishes for a great turnout..

Susie Jefferson said...

What a great idea! I'm sure you'll be able to find something fabulous in pink - possibly a touch of marabou feathers and some glitter???

Thanks so much for visiting me - it's lovely to meet you as well! Happy Pink Saturday (on Sunday evening...)