Friday, November 7, 2008

Engineers' Stereotype

I've been at my new perfect job now for two months. I work for an engineering firm and in case you don't know it, engineers are kind of known for being anal their attention to detail.

I thought I'd share one of the things that makes me giggle. When I open the cupboard at work every morning to get a cup of coffee - this is what I see:



Do you notice that every mug is the same? All of the plates are on one shelf and the bowls on another. Notice the naughty older mugs of an inferior design are relegated to their own shelf, not to intermingle with the superior newer mugs.


Notice how each one of the cups' handles are turned the very same way....

I stand back for a minute and shake my head as I sip my coffee. It makes me giggle, but in a strange way, it also brings me peace.

11 comments:

smalltownme said...

Whoa! My husband works at a hightech place but their kitchen is far more...casual?

Your engineers could have a side job as kitchen organizers.

Jan n Jer said...

When I was in the work place, our break room was never that clean or neat. I like an orderly place myself.

Anonymous said...

I'm married to an engineer...we don't have any coffee cups that match, nor are they on the same shelves with the handles turned the same way...their not even in the same cabinet.
Want me to send him over?

Anonymous said...

So...do you ever get the urge to move the handle of one cup the wrong way just to see what happens?

Faye said...

Okay, I so get this. One of my best friends is an architect and his cabinets are like this. His postcard display on the fridge is even in march formation! And let's not even try to understand keeping used banana peels in the freezer in a bag until garbage day. On second thought, that may not be architectural but just old manism.

karisma said...

LOl! Now my quest would be to find out "Who Does That??????" (And can they come and clean my kitchen?) Haha!

Junebug said...

Notice the "naughty" mug handles turned the "other" direction? ;D

Faye: My mother puts banana peels in the freezer in a bag until garbage day too. She's 78. :D

A Spot of T said...

I'm so ignorant I'd have to move a cup ever so slightly to the left. Not much. Just enough to make their right eye twitch a bit :o)

Anonymous said...

Not a stereotype at all. My genius hubby is of the engineer type and would see nothing odd about that.

Me? I would turn every other handle the other way. Still very organized but slightly askew. naughty me.

Anonymous said...

This makes me so incredibly happy for some reason. Well, for a real reason- I do this every once in a while.

masgblog said...

totally organized I'd say...and I love how the inferior mugs are relegated to their own shelf:)...their own shelf space hee