Monday, November 3, 2008

Fun Monday - Why I Blog

Today's Fun Monday Host is Bee Dancing As Fast as I Can, who's name refers to that funny little waggle dance that bees do in their hive. I think the name of her blog is perfect since that dance is how the bees tell each other where the good pollen collecting places are. I've always thought of Fun Monday as a blogger's dance of sorts, a way to tell each other where the good blogs are. The topic for this week fits perfectly with that thought.

Bee Dancer says:
"I'm relatively new to blogging, & I'm sure this has come up before, but I'd really like to know WHY you blog. Tell me how you got started or why you got started and why you keep it up. Plus there's a photo requirement: Post a picture of the one person/place/thing that most symbolizes the town or area where you live."
At first I thought this wouldn't be much more than a one line answer - Why do I blog? Why, to write about me of course. ME, ME. ME! But then I thought deeper about it, and I realized that while that's somewhat true, a blog is much more than just a need to be narccisstic. A blog, my blog is several things to me. It is:

1) A Forum. I love to write, I love to express my ideas, I love the give and take, the zingers and one liners that get tossed back and forth in the comments sections. To me posting on your own blog is like writing an article, but much less scary than submitting it to a magazine. Some would say more anonymous, but with comments, there is always the possibility of getting some whack job filling up your comment box with propaganda feedback in the bargain. A blog is my way of having a conversation, but with a little more time to shape your thoughts.

2) A Social Network. I ask you, where else can you waste so much time have conversations with so many interesting, hilarious, smart people from all over the world, every day, for free? You guys are my friends, and I laugh and worry, and hope, and get mad right along with you.

3) A Barometer. Even though I stay away from right wing, Republican and religious Pundit Blogs, I can still read about opinions on national issues from people who think exactly the same way I do who have nothing to gain or lose from expressing it.

4) A Mirror. It is incredibly freeing to read that others struggle with some of the same issues I struggle with. The same messy houses, the same conflicts with coworkers, kids, husbands, the same struggle for blogging topics. And at 2:30 A.M., it's nice to know there are others, fingers poised on the keys, faces illuminated by the blue glow of their computer, staring at a blinking cursor with no earthly idea what to write.

5) A Sanctuary. I admit it. When I have a deadline, or something icky I don't want to do - I like to take a little mental vacation and visit some of my imaginary friends.

6) A Leveler. It is humbling when someone takes the time to not only read, but comment on something you have posted. It makes me work at posting something interesting, thoughtful and well written, knowing that you never know who is going to read your blog.

7) A Challenge. In all honesty, I guess I started blogging as practice. A way to begin the discipline of writing each and every day. I challenge myself to write something I hope is not only interesting, but I like to put a positive twist on everything I write. And as I'm sure you can agree, that right there is the challenge.

8) An Inspiration. Long before I got up the nerve to start my own blog, I read blogs. I scanned at first, but then began to get to know these imaginary people, and I started to read more deeply. I laughed at what I read and cried at what I read and wanted to write hilarious stories and gut wrenching accounts, and achingly true confessions just like the ones I was reading from you guys every day.

So - those are my reasons for Blogging - go waggle your tail around to all the other Fun Monday participants and see what they have to say!

11 comments:

Sayre said...

Oh, you are a mirror yourself! I agree with ALL your reasons for blogging!

Hootin Anni said...

Excellent list. And absolutely a true meaning of blogging. In my opinion.

My Fun Monday is shared tho I seem to have been overlooked on the list of participants. So, come on by if you can find time today, I'd love to have you visit with me.

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Oh my...the most detailed and in depth answer so far! Where is the pic representing where you live though? Just kidding...I can see why you might have forgotten it after all that thinking and analyzing!

Anonymous said...

OH. OH. OH. I love list-makers. Such a in depth look at blogging. I think you probably covered it ALL for ALL of us.
Good job. A+
Since I didn't actually follow ALL the rules, I may just link everyone to your place...

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Oh yes, all of the above!

And you know what? I think it was on your blog that I first saw the Blog365 link. So it's all your fault!!

Unknown said...

After reading your list I recognized reasons I hadn't even considered...Thank you for reminding me

Jan n Jer said...

WOW those are all very good reasons to blog. I agree with all of them!

Faye said...

First, I love your blog template. If you're going to be in la la land, it may as well be a castle! A serious observation about comments--the longer I blog the more I realize how important it is to take the time to comment on other blog posts. The exchange that you sometimes get going is more interesting than coming up with another post. For me, I'm good for about two long posts each week and then spend the rest of blogging time reading and commenting on other blogs.

Alison said...

I love, love, love your header!!!

you took the words right out of my mouth with your list of reasons!!!

ChrisB said...

You have encompassed everything in your well written list. Excellent post.

Anonymous said...

wow! so many good reasons! sorry I did not post pictures of the Choo Choo