Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The First Step

Gaaah!  September 1st.  Today is the day I start.  Am I really going to do this?  OK.  Lets go!


....Where are we going again?


Ummmmm... as near as I can tell, some vague "more zen-like" "empty nester" "a year from now" place...


Alrighty then, I guess I need to be clear, to come right out and state what it is I'm trying to accomplish... but, can I confide in you?  I'm afraid.  If I say these things out loud, it will be admitting that I'm not perfect, that I have (gasp) flaws!  And holy cow, putting this in writing is kind of like making a commitment.  If I do that I can't fool myself later, or back out, or cheat.


Well Duh.


You know as well as I do that you have to state your goal  - you have to have a plan!  A road map to success!  You have to Take The First Step!  And while you're at it, that goal has to be:
S Specific
M Measurable
A Attainable
R Relevant
T Time-bound


...And hey, just who are you talking to anyway?


Ummmmm... as near as I can tell, the Ghosts of Self-Help Seminars Past...All right, here it is.


For the next 30 days I will only eat the foods on the eating plan I have made for myself, and I will record what I eat on a food diary.  The eating plan does not include alcohol, or coffee, but does include several glasses of water.

For the next 30 days I will do the strengthening exercises prescribed by the physical therapist for my knee pain.  I will walk on the treadmill daily, working up to 3 miles per day at 3 miles per hour.  I will practice the yoga stretches I know at home with the understanding that I will eventually join a group or class.

For the next 30 days I will get up at 6a.m. (or earlier) every day... including weekends... and establish a morning routine which includes breakfast, reading a specific limited number of blogs, news, and motivational sources.

For the next 30 days I will write something every day.  And for the next 30 days I will update this blog at least three times per week.

For the next 30 days I will establish an evening routine which includes tying up the loose ends of the day, finishing that day's tasks, and "actively" reading a book of significance.


The next step is to look at all the things that are keeping me from accomplishing my goal and build into the plan ways to overcome them.  And all along the way, I need to make sure I am making progress.  That's where you come in.  Suggestions, encouragement, peer pressure.



1 comment:

smalltownme said...

Wow! Great steps. My biggest step lately has been to force myself to clean up the kitchen after dinner instead of leaving most of the mess for the next morning. It does help my morning mood, although it makes my evening grumpier.